What are Signs of Radon Poisoning?

There are quite a number of toxic gases that have been proven to cause harm to your health. Some of the most common gases that we may be exposed to include carbon monoxide and methane. Radon is an equally toxic gas that many people do not know about. It is dangerous to our health and as a homeowner, you should strive to learn everything there is to know about radon gas so that you can ensure that your family is safe and healthy in your home.

This knowledge includes what radon is, the signs and symptoms of exposure, how fatal this gas is, how to test for the gas in your home, and finally how to mitigate the gas if the levels in your home are too high. This article gives information regarding the signs of radon poisoning.


House in flames or with Asbestos or Radon Radiation

Radon is a gas that exists naturally in the soil and is formed because of radioactivity. It is important to realize that the gas is odorless, tasteless, and colorless therefore in many cases; it will go unnoticed by homeowners. The levels of radon gas are usually higher in lower floors because radon rises from the soil that it is formed. Such rooms that may be at a higher risk include basements where the gas is elevated. It is also a proven fact that out of any 15 homes in the United States, approximately one home will test positively for high levels of radon gas. This, therefore, shows the importance of learning everything there is to know about this common but unpopular gas.

Radon is able to enter your home through small openings, for example, pipes, cracks in the foundation, drains, and even the walls. It can then be deduced that it is extremely difficult if not impossible to prevent the radon gas from entering your home. The building materials that have been used for a stone building and even the solar heating equipment can also be a source of the radon gas in the house. The gas will accumulate over time and reach extremely high levels because our houses are enclosed thus the gas is trapped unlike in the open outdoors where the gas will be able to dissipate quickly. When looking at Idaho to be specific, the occurrence of high levels of radon in a home is higher because of the type of soil found. This soil has high levels of radium, thorium, and uranium and they play a huge role because they are the elements that will radioactively break down to form the radon gas.

Signs of Radon Gas Poisoning

Radon is very dangerous to our health. This is because it is radioactive. It was initially thought by medical institutions that radon is beneficial when inhaled, but these experts have now proven that constant exposure to this deadly gas can in most cases lead to lung cancer. It is so serious that this exposure has become the second leading cause of people getting lung cancer in the United States.

Unfortunately, short-term exposure to radon will not lead to any signs or symptoms in your body. This will only happen if you are exposed to it for years, then, you will be able to notice the unusual and damaging health signs and symptoms. These signs may be similar to those of lung cancer and they include ongoing chest pains that will most often be accompanied by persistent coughing. You will notice that you start to lose weight without meaning to and this should be a cause for alarm. It may be a result of your loss of appetite. You may also cough up blood and this is accompanied by wheezing. You will easily get tired because of fatigue and suffer from shortness of breath. Aside from hoarseness, you will be more likely to suffer frequently from infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia.

For radon gas, it is unlikely that you will notice symptoms like headaches or dizziness, unlike other poisonous gases. This is major because the radon gas will rapidly decay and during this decay, it will damage the cells that are located in your lungs. After some time, the damage causes cellular mutations that will then lead to cancer if you do not mitigate the gas in your home.

It can therefore be deduced that radon is a stealthy and silent poisonous gas contributed by the characteristics that help it go unnoticed. It is therefore important to test your home for radon to prevent the start of these symptoms. Even so, if you do notice the symptoms, you should visit your physician and seek professional help to mitigate the levels of Radon.